Here is the supply list for the upcoming Botanical Watercolor Workshop.
For a guide on where to buy art supplies in Berlin, go HERE.
- Hot Press Watercolor Block, 300g, A4
- Watercolor Set (Malkasten) – cakes in a box with space for mixing colors
- Watercolor Brushes, size 1-2 and size 6
- Pencils, HB and 2B
- White eraser
- Water cup
Long version with explanations and all details:
Hot Press Watercolor Paper (also called smooth, Glatt, Glad) 300 g, A4.
- Botanical Illustrators have traditionally used Hot Press Watercolor Paper for their work because its smooth surface is conducive to fine detail.
- Watercolor paper can be purchased as a block (edges glued together so paper doesn’t buckle) or as individual sheets. If you choose to work on loose sheets, you will need a board to tape your paper to.
These are the minimum required brushes. Look for the brushes marked for watercolor with the short handle. The larger brush must bereal or synthetic sable – this is the fibre that the brush is made from and can be referred to as Sable, Kolinsky-Sable, Rotmarderhaar (de). Real Sable brushes are made from animal hairs are are superior to synthetic brushes.
- #1-2 round brush – for fine detail
- #6-8 round brush – Sable, Kolinsky-Sable, Rotmarderhaar (de), or synthetic sable
I recommend buying dry cakes of watercolors in a box (Aquarell Malkasten).
The fewest colors you can get by with would be these 6 colors below, the three primaries in warm and cool versions. If you have a watercolor set, bring that along and we can see if some colors can be substituted. Different brands also have different names for the same colors sometimes.
|PRIMARIES||COOL COLORS||WARM COLORS|
|BLUE||Pthalo Blue or Prussian Blue||French Ultramarine Blue|
|RED||Alizarin Crimson||Cadmium Red|
|YELLOW||Lemon Yellow (Cadmium Yellow Pale)||Cadmium Yellow|
Additional optional colors: Payne’s Grey, Burnt Sienna, Violet, Greenish Yellow (Green Gold), Sap Green, Viridian Green, Yellow Ochre, your choice!
White Gouache (opaque watercolor)
- Pencils: HB, 2B and white eraser
- Notebook for taking notes
- Water cup
- masking fluid
- masking tape
- additional palette for mixing colors
- pigment Liner 0.1 (artist archival ink pen)
If you have any questions, let me know!
Check out our GUIDE TO BUYING ART SUPPLIES IN BERLIN