Offered entirely online: interactive, livestreaming classes and personalized feedback on completed work.
Learn color theory and how it applies to painting.
A deep understanding of how to use color is an essential skill for any painter, or for that matter anyone creating visual content. During this hands on workshop you will be guided through a series of exercises paired with theoretical content with artist and educator Ian Jehle. The use of color and its perceptual influence is a major component of Ian’s own work.
Color has the power to evoke emotion and trigger memories. For most of us, it is what we remember when we walk into a beautiful room or what we think of when we remember our favorite painting. But how does color work? How do we distinguish one color from another? What do we mean when we say that colors go together.
Starting with the simple color wheel that most of us know from childhood, this course looks at how color operates in the eye and in the mind, as both light and biology. Using acrylic paint and canvas, we will analyze the inherent attributes of color, and using simple exercises, learn how to effectively work with those individual attributes. Taking examples from film, animation, painting, and advertising, we will look at systems that various cultures and media use to organize and choose colors. Whether you’re interested in fine art, video, design or digital media, this course will teach you the fundamental tools to incorporate color into whatever you do.
- Understanding Color: Light & Biology
- The Attributes of Color: Value, Hue & Intensity
- Color Dynamics: How one color affects another
- Color Systems: Complimentary, Analogous, Tonal
- Color Systems: Persian Miniatures
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
Jun 9 – Jul 14, 2021
6x Wednesday 6-8 pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 190 Euros
14 seats available