with G Caruso
Have you always wanted to learn how to draw? Start by learning how to observe better and develop a new way of seeing.
Learn basic drawing techniques with a focus on drawing from observation. Class exercises explore technique, medium and strategies in visual thinking. A perfect introduction for beginners, with new skills to be learned for the more experienced.
See your skills improve, no matter what level you are starting at!
Each class is structured around a formal topic, such as:
- contour lines
- negative space
- gesture, etc…
Each topic is introduced with examples from art-history and contemporary art, thereby providing a context for the technical instruction. For example, what can we learn about contour lines by comparing drawings by David Hockney from the 21st century with those by Henri Matisse from the 20th century? Guided exercises build technique, starting with the basics, followed by time for experimentation and longer drawings. We draw from still-life creations as well as from figurative source material.
The formal topics covered in this workshop provide an overview of basic drawing techniques, as well as some more advanced applications. Gain an understanding of how concepts like negative space and tonality can take your drawings to the next level, while also appreciating how these universal building blocks have been used by other artists.
Our Online Workshop Format
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and therefore the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available, in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
February 19 – March 26, 2021
6 x Friday from 6-8 pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
(includes 16% VAT)
10 seats available