with G Caruso
Gain a solid foundation in fundamental watercolor techniques and learn to manage this complex but fascinating medium. Develop your own workflow by understanding the principles of watercolor and the subtlety of how the paint, water and paper interact.
This workshop covers the foundation skills of planning a watercolor painting, from materials to technique. Landscape and still life painting will be our primary starting subjects, two genres beloved by watercolorists and perfect for learning the medium. Develop a solid foundation in the medium of watercolor that can be expanded upon in our other watercolor workshops such as Botanical, Urban Landscape, Travel Sketching or Figure in Watercolor.
Watercolor can be difficult to control, but once you understand the process then a structure emerges. It is within this structure that personal expression and improvisation can emerge.
Learning how to paint with watercolor will also train your mind to plan your work in advance and organize your tonal values, and enhance your analytical skills.
- How to set up the paper, prepare the color and apply even washes.
- Basics of color mixing.
- How to render volume and depth in traditional wet on dry.
- Brushstroke patterns to render texture.
- How to render reflections and atmospheric colors (wet on wet).
- The importance of shadows and planning tonal values.
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
April 9 – May 14, 2021
6x Fridays 6- 8pm CET ONLINE
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
*includes 19% VAT
6 seats available